A lot of the guests at our fitness resorts have tried fad diets, and they ask us why. Fad diets always seem to catch our eye because they make promises to lose an x-number of pounds in an x-number of days. We’ve heard of the cookie diet, no carb diet, high protein diet, 3-day diet, cabbage soup diet, and grapefruit diet, just to name a few. Many of these diets do show results and many lose weight quickly, but it is short lived. Most will not only gain the weight back that they lost, but also gain additional weight.
These are reasons why fad diets don’t work compared to healthy weight loss:
- They are quick fixes that won’t last. You may lose weight initially, but as soon as you start eating regularly again you gain the weight back. Healthy weight loss with balanced eating and exercise is one to two pounds lost a week
- Fad diets just focus on the food. A healthy diet should concentrate healthy foods, exercise, and overall well-being. One without the others, just won’t work
- Fad diets do not last a lifetime. Ask yourself, “Can I follow this for the rest of my life?” If the answer is no, then it’s a fad. Following a healthy diet, and exercising is something anyone can follow for the rest of their life
Heard of these fads before? Understand the real facts:
- Eating after 8pm will make you gain weight
-False; As long as you’re still eating in moderation during the day. Suggest stop eating at least one hour prior to going to sleep.
- Supplements will help you obtain nutrition goals faster?
-False; Real food obtain more than just vitamins and minerals (benefits that supplements cannot possess)
- Low Carb diets help with weight loss?
-False; Your body needs carbs to work correctly (primary energy source)
- Red meat is bad for you?
-False; Lean red meat can be a healthy source of Protein, Iron, and Zinc. Lean beef or Lamb are healthy options
- Fresh vegetables are healthier than canned/frozen/dried?
-False; Fresh foods can lose nutrients as they age on shelves. Many frozen foods are flash frozen when fresh to lock nutrients.
Understanding what is a fad diet and why it won’t work for you is half the battle of weight loss. Just because you lose weight fast, doesn’t mean that you will keep it off. We understand that losing weight can be difficult, and we are here to help in any way we can.