Come out of the holidays lighter and cheerier!
At our weight loss camp we know how important it is to continue our healthy eating during the holidays, but we also know that these holidays only come around once a year and it’s okay to indulge a bit!
On the actual holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas), eat what you want! It’s a special time of year with special foods that we don’t get everyday. But for all the days in between and around the holidays (there are 54 days between Halloween and Christmas and 60 till New Year’s day), stick to your food and exercise plan and you’ll be successful in continuing with your health goals even during the most challenging time of year.
Tips for Parties:
- Don’t go to parties on an empty stomach
- Eat very well the rest of the day, being mindful of portion sizes – and eat a little lighter than usual if you know you’ll be eating extra for dinner
- Limit snacking on appetizers.
- One-bite rule – if you feel obligated to or just want to try all of the dishes at a party, just get one bite of each item so you get a taste but don’t end up with too much by the end of the meal.
- Eat mindfully! Especially if you’re going for the one-bite rule, eat slowly and savor each bite. This will allow you to enjoy all of the same foods but be satisfied on smaller amounts.
- Make sure you bring a healthy dish – this guarantees you’ll have “safe” food to eat no matter what the circumstances.
- If you are in charge of planning a party (home or office party), give everyone a theme of “healthy holidays” where the goal is to bring lightened up versions of holiday recipes
- Try to incorporate all of the food groups into your main meal like you would for other normal meals. This helps to balance your plate and keep you from getting too much of any one item.
- Try hanging around areas other than where the food is located (out of site, out of mind!)
The rest of the time: (All the days around Thanksgiving and Christmas)
- Have a little extra discipline with food choices, making sure to watch portion sizes and eat an overall balance among all food groups
If you follow these simple steps, you can’t lose anything but pounds!