Quick Breakfast Recipe From Your Favorite Weight Loss Camps
Whether you’re pressed for time in the mornings or you’re just not hungry, missing breakfast is one of the worst mistakes you can make when trying to lose weight and we teach this at all of our weight loss camps. We need breakfast to give our bodies fuel for the day ahead and to get our metabolisms revved up to burn off the calories we take in.
Try making these muffins on a Sunday and have them ready for the workweek, that way you can grab one and head straight out the door. By having one of these muffins instead of your standard Starbucks blueberry muffin, you’ll save 200 calories and 18g of fat! In this recipe, we substitute whole-wheat flour for white flour to provide extra fiber and use applesauce and pumpkin puree to replace the oil and butter. We slash the amount of sugar in most muffin recipes in half and add 1/8 cup of honey for some natural sweetness.
We challenge you this weekend to make these muffins or our Banana Bran muffins and eat them next week for breakfast. Tell us what twists you may of added, how it worked for you or what could have made them better!
Blueberry Pumpkin Oat Muffins
Makes 12 muffins (1 muffin= 1 serving)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¾ cup skim milk
- 1 ¼ cup can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/8 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin pans with paper cups or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour with blueberries.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining flour, oatmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cinnamon, mixing well.
- In another bowl, combine applesauce, eggs, milk, pumpkin puree and honey, mixing well. Add moist ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Gently fold blueberries into batter. Spoon into the muffin cups, filling each one 1/2 full.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and serve warm.