Planning and sticking with your healthy snacks can sometimes be even harder than it is to plan for meals. You can find yourself having unplanned cake at an office birthday party, nibbling on after school snacks with the kids, or caught in a past habit of having a before-bed splurge. Before you know it, your 100-200 calorie snack has turned into an extra meal…or two! This is an issue a lot of out weight loss resorts guests are having.
Becoming mindful of the times that you’re most likely to fall prey to over-snacking means you can now come up with a plan to avoid it in the future. Whatever your favorite time to snack is, make sure you allot yourself enough calories to have your snack and feel satisfied. Also be sure to include at least two food groups for your body to feel full.
If you’re a person who likes to snack throughout the entire day, five to six small meals as opposed to three larger ones might be a better way to stay within your caloric range without feeling deprived. If there is only one time where you really get caught over-eating, make sure you have a plan where you have a small snack that you enjoy every day during that time. Just knowing that you will be able to have something that you enjoy again the next day will help to avoid the need to overindulge on it.
Here is a healthy snack recipe from our Snack Simple booklet (that will be available soon!) by our weight loss resorts RD Megan.
Mayan Pumpkin Seed Dip
Makes 5 servings of 1/4 cup & 5 whole grain tortilla chips
- 1 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced shallots
- 1 diced jalapeno
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp dried parsley or 1/4 cup fresh
- 1/4 cup cilantro, lightly packed
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup water
- Toast the pumpkin seeds over medium heat in a large skillet for five minutes, tossing occasionally. Place seeds in food processor.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil, add shallots, jalapeno, and garlic cloves. Place mixture in food processor with pumpkin seeds.
- Add the parsley, cilantro, remaining olive oil, lime juice orange zest and water to food processor and puree until smooth. Serve with tortilla or pita chips.